What do you do if your pet is stung by a bee or wasp?

Posted on

  • Share this page:

bee or waspWe can train our cats and dogs to do most things but it’s almost impossible to get them to keep away from a bee or wasp. Soon the bees’ and wasps’ season will be in full swing. And we all know how much our furry pals love to get themselves into trouble.

In most cases there won’t be any need to panic. Cats and dogs investigate the world with the paws and noses, which happen to be the most common areas to get stung and can be relatively simple to deal with. But multiple stings, or stings in the mouths and throat, can be more dangerous.

The difference in stings

  • A bee’s stinger is barbed and designed to lodge in the skin, killing the bee when the stinger detaches from the body
  • Wasp stingers are not barbed but are more painful, and if provoked these insects can sting multiple times

Source: Hellspet

What do you do, if your pet is stung by a bee or wasp?

First of all, if your pet is stung by a bee your aim is to stop venom from spreading, so remove the stinger as quickly as possible.

*The stinger can pulsate venom into your cat or dog for up to 2 minutes after it’s separated from the bee*

To remove the stinger, try using a bank card to scrape it out. Don’t use your fingers or tweerzers to squeeze the stinger out of your cat or dog as you can rupture the venom sac. This can cause further injury to your pet.

Bee or wasp stings to your pets face, should only be bothersome temporarily for your pet and can be left alone.

Administering a weak mixture of water and baking soda to the affected bee or wasp sting area should help soothe your pets pain. Another option is to try a putting an ice pack on the affected area to help reduce swelling.

Keep a close eye on your pets bee or wasp sting to ensure an allergic reaction doesn’t develop. If the swelling doesn’t subside after several days, speak to your vet for advice.

Stings in the mouth or throat can be hazardous to your pet. As a result, swelling can close your pet’s airways. Please head straight to your vets if this happens.

bee or wasp

Watch for allergic reactions

A severe reaction can be caused by a large number of stings or by an allergic reaction. Signs of a reaction include:

  • General weakness
  • Difficulty breathing
  • A large amount of swelling extending away from the sting site

Signs of anaphylactic shock

  • Vomiting within 5-10minutes
  • Pale gums

If your dog is having a severe reaction, you need to go to a vet immediately.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *