When thinking of getting a pet, one thing you know that will change for sure it that you might be cleaning the house a bit more than you use to. From shedding hair to little and not so little messes, cleaning will now play a larger part in your home life. So here is where we come in! We want you as a pet owner to be fully aware of what is in your home and what are some of the household toxins that can harm your pet.
Most cleaning products we use aren’t safe for humans, so of course it’s going to be harmful to our furry friends. The last thing you want to do is harm your pet, particularly if it could easily be prevented. Losing an animal is devastating so keeping harmful toxins away from pets, out of reach or out of the home entirely is a wise choice. We know you’re not able to keep an eye on them every second of the day, so it’s about making conscious decisions before bringing your pet home; especially if it’s your first pet and knowing the household toxins that can harm your pet.
Many household products are hidden dangers to your pet, even if they appear harmless. Everyday items such as your hair products could be deadly if your pet ingests them; therefore there are some things you should keep out of reach if you must keep them at home.
Household toxins that can harm your pet:
- Commercial cleaning products – air fresheners to cleaner and polishes and disinfectants, laundry detergents soaps
- Formaldehyde – Commonly found furnishing and household cleaners.
Your pet may also get into your rubbish so be very careful of where this is kept. Should you suspect that your pet has been exposed to a toxin, look out for signs of:
- Irritated, red eyes
- Excessive scratching
- Red patches on the skin
- Loss of appetite
Always remember to keep toxic products and items shut, locked away and out of sight so you pet isn’t tempted. Being proactive is an ongoing thing to keeping your pet safe.
Read this guide for further information on what other household toxins that can harm your pet.