Cats of all ages are at risk of developing this disease however, in younger pets it is mostly caused by the consumption of poisonous drugs or toxins. Hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver develops when furry pets, especially overweight ones, go without food for several days. If not treated, the liver fails, therefore, causing death. However, with proper medication and nutrition, the cat will make full recovery.
The Causes of Liver Disease
In order to prevent your furry friend from getting any liver disease, it is necessary to know the causes.
- Are your cats refusing to eat? This could actually lead to Hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver because the body uses all the fat stored by the body for energy.
- Another liver disease cholangitis is caused by inflammation of the liver or biliary tract which is brought about by bacterial or parasitic infections
- Liver cancer is common in cats
Symptoms of Liver Disease
- Weight loss
- Decreased appetite
Cat Health Tips
As the old saying goes, prevention is better than cure – it is necessary to take important measures to make sure that your kitty doesn’t get liver disease. Furry pets can get bored with the same meal so if you decide to introduce a new diet, do it slowly and consider including kidney care cat food which is nutritious.
To prevent consumption of toxins and medicines, store all medication and cleaning agents in locked cabinets. Also, only give prescribed medication and seek guidance from the veterinarian on how to care for a cat.
Remember to feed your pet, especially if it is young, by using baby food for kitties to keep it from eating poisonous plants and flowers to prevent liver damage. Furry friends need a lot of care so it is necessary to have the best cat litter for odour control.
In case your kitty has been diagnosed with liver disease, it is possible for them to recover with the proper care. The following tips will help your pet to recover:
- If your cat has consumed any toxins, the only way to treat this is by decontamination, for example, by encouraging vomiting or by pumping the stomach. You can also use activated charcoal to stop absorption.
- Anorexic pets can be given appetite-inducing supplements if they are able to eat by themselves. Also, giving them kidney care food will improve their health. For those that can’t eat by themselves, they are fed by a tube directly to their stomach.
- When the cat has a tumour, either malignant or benign, surgery is often recommended. A diet that contains low proteins is also recommended
It is hard to know when your kitty has developed an infection or disease because they tend to isolate themselves and they might die in the process. However, having an idea of cat health tips will help you to notice the symptoms and seek proper medical care.
Which plants do you think are toxic to cats? We’d love to read your comments!