As spring has sprung and the weather changes (hopefully), we’ll all be looking to get out into our gardens more. With that in mind we need to be wary of some of the toxic garden plants out there.
Now if you’re like me, over the winter months gardening may not have been very high on your list of things to do but now it’s time to take action!
Whether it’s your first time gardening or you’ve got quite the ‘green thumb’; planting anything with your pets running around can be difficult and we should arm ourselves with the ‘tells’ to know if our little friends are in trouble.
These are likely to already be surfacing in your gardens and although pretty; they can be toxic to cats and dogs especially the bulbs so be sure to keep an eye out if planting them.
Symptoms: Vomiting, excessive drooling, diarrhoea; large ingestion causes convulsions, low blood pressure, Lethargy, Seizures, Breathing problems, Abdominal pain.
Ivy comes in many varieties but ALL are dangerous to cats and dogs. It’s not likely that your pet is going to start chopping into the Ivy growing up the side of your house, but you never know what mood may strike them. If you find your pet vomiting or hyper salivating then the best course of action is to visit your vet.
Symptoms: Vomiting, abdominal pain, hyper salivation, diarrhoea.
We must admit, when we see this plant coming into bloom we can’t help but be in awe and it’s often when our eyes are in one place our little rascals are somewhere else.
Symptoms: Vomiting (sometimes with blood), diarrhoea, depression
Tulips / Narcissus
If you find your little guy likes to get really involved out in the garden and dig, then tulips and narcissus are something to be cautious of. The bulbs of the tulip and narcissus have the highest concentration of toxins; so even if growing indoors be sure to keep out of reach.
Symptoms: Intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
Traditionally a house plant, Pothos isn’t the most toxic plant in this list but cats and dogs can have an unfortunate reaction if it’s chewed or ingested.
Symptoms: Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing.
To us there is nothing better than the smell of freshly grown tomatoes. For cats and dogs, although not proven to be lethal is still a toxic plant as a decent dose can cause them serious discomfort.
Symptoms: severe gastrointestinal upset, diarrhoea, drowsiness, CNS depression, confusion, behavioural change, weakness, dilated pupils, slow heart rate.
We all know that you can’t watch your cat or dog ALL of the time and when they’re outside they will be who they are. It’s up to us to notice when things don’t seem quite right and as the owner you will know what is normal for your pet.
So trust your instincts and if you think there is a problem don’t hesitate – go to your vet. Also check out our post Treats Vs. Toxins: Foods That Harm & Heal if you’re unsure of what to give your cat or dog and First Aid For Pets: A Quick Guide for common aids you can do in the event of an emergency.
We know your pets can’t wait to get out there to explore and we can’t wait to go with them.
* PIN ME *